POLS 6395 AMERICAN POLITICAL DEVELOPMENT
Fall Semester AY2004-2005
Department of Political Science
University of Houston
Houston, TX, 77204-3011
Classroom: 313 PGH
Time: 1:00PM - 4:00PM Monday
Instructor: Keith T. Poole
Office: 441A Hoffman HallThe following texts will be used in this course:
WebSite: Voteview Home Page
- Bernard Bailyn, The Origins of American Politics
- Richard Hofstadter, The Idea of a Party System
- Douglass C. North and Robert Paul Thomas, The Rise of the Western World
- Keith T. Poole and Howard Rosenthal, Congress: A Political Economic History of Roll Call Voting
- E. E. Schattschneider, The Semisovereign People
- James Sundquist, Dynamics of the Party System
RequirementsGrades will be determined by two essay examinations -- one midsemester exam and a
- The English Origins of American Political Institutions
- North and Thomas, The Rise of the Western World
- Bailyn, The Origins of American Politics
- Douglass North and Barry Weingast. 1989. "Constitutions and Commitment: The Evolution
of Institutions Governing Public Choice in Seventeenth-Century England." The Journal of Economic History, 49:803-832.
- Richard Pipes. 1999. Property and Freedom, chapter 3
- Bailyn, Bernard. 1967. The Ideological Origins of the American Revolution
- Hogue, Arthur R. 1966. Origins of the Common Law
- The Revolution and the Constitution
- Paine, Common Sense, selected portions.
- Stanley Elkins and Eric McKitrick. 1961. "The Founding Fathers: Young Men of the Revolution,"
Political Science Quarterly, 76: 799-816.
- Cecelia M. Kenyon. 1955. "Men of Little Faith: The Anti-Federalists on the Nature
of Representative Government," William and Mary Quarterly, 12: 3-43.
- John P. Roche. 1961. "The Founding Fathers: A Reform Caucus in Action," American Political Science Review, 55: 799-816.
- James Madison, "Federalist 10," The Federalist Papers
- The Constitution and the Declaration of Independence
- "Aspects of Revolutionary Finance, 1775 - 1783," by Ralph V. Harlow, American Historical Review 35, Oct. 1929, pp.46 -68.
- McGuire, Robert A. 2004. To Form a More Perfect Union: A New Economic Interpretation of the United States Constitution
- Judicial Review
- Marbury vs. Madison
- Lockhart, Kamisar, & Choper, The American Constitution, Chapters 1 & 2 on Judicial Review.
- Sores on the Body Politic: The Origins of Political Parties
- Hofstadter, The Idea of a Party System
- Schattschneider, Party Government, pp. 1-64.
- Poole and Rosenthal, Congress, Chapters 1-4
- Gerring, John. 1998. Party Ideologies in America 1828 - 1996, pp. 1-56.
- Aldrich, John H. 1995. Why Parties? The Origin and Transformation of Political Parties in America
- The Conflict Over Slavery
- Robert William Fogel, Without Consent or Contract, pp. 9 - 198.
- Sundquist, Dynamics of the Party System, chs. 1-5
- Hofstadter, "Calhoun: The Marx of the Master Class" in The American Political Tradition
- McCarty, Poole, and Rosenthal. 2001. "Congress and the Territorial Expansion of the
United States." New Directions in Studying the History of the U.S. Congress, ed. by Mathew McCubbins and David Brady.
- Johnson, Walter. 1999. Soul by Soul: Life Inside the Antebellum Slave Market
- The Civil War and Mr. Lincoln's Constitution
- Hofstadter, "Abraham Lincoln and the Self-Made Myth" in The American Political Tradition
- Poole and Rosenthal, Congress, Chapter 5
- Railroads and the Transformation of the Economy: 1830 - 1892
- Sundquist, Dynamics of the Party System, chs. 6-7
- Alfred D. Chandler Jr. 1977. The Visible Hand, chs. 1-8.
- Poole and Rosenthal, "Congress and Railroad Regulation: 1874-87." In The Regulated Economy: An Historical Approach to Political Economy, ed. by Claudia Goldin and Gary D. Libecap. Chicago: University of Chicago Press,
- Gerring, John. 1998. Party Ideologies in America 1828 - 1996, pp. 57-124 and 161-186.
- Carter Goodrich. 1960. Government Promotion of American Canals and Railroads: 1800-1890
- Economics, Politics, Regulation and the Progressive Movement
- Sundquist, Dynamics of the Party System, chs. 8-9
- Jonathan Hughes. 1986. The Vital Few: The Entrepreneur and American Economic Progress, chs. 8-9, E. H. Harriman and J. P. Morgan.
- Poole and Rosenthal, Congress, Chapter 6
- Albro Martin. 1971. Enterprise Denied: Origins of the Decline of American Railroads, 1897-1917
- Theda Skocpol. 1992. Protecting Soldiers and Mothers: The Political Origins of Social Policy in the United
- Richard Bensel. 1990. Yankee Leviathan: The Origins of Central State Authority in America, 1859-1877
- The Realignment of the 1930s
- Sundquist, Dynamics of the Party System, chs. 10-12
- Barbara Sinclair. 1977. "Party Realignment and the Transformation of the Political
Agenda: The House of Representatives, 1925-38." American Political Science Review, 73: 940-953.
- David Brady. 1982. "Congressional Party Realignment and Transformation of Public Policy
in Three Realignment Eras." American Journal of Political Science, 76: 333-360.
- Benjamin Ginsberg. 1972. "Critical Elections and the Substance of Party Conflict:
1844-1968." Midwest Journal of Political Science, 16: 603-625.
- Gerring, John. 1998. Party Ideologies in America 1828 - 1996, pp. 125-160 and 187-231.
- Change and Stability: Post World War II Politics
- Schattschneider, The Semisovereign People
- Fiorina, Congress: Keystone of the Washington Establishment
- McCarty, Poole, and Rosenthal, Polarized America: The Dance of Political Ideology and Economic Inequality
- Gerring, John. 1998. Party Ideologies in America 1828 - 1996, pp. 232-286.
- Perlstein, Rick. 2001. Before The Storm: Barry Goldwater and the Unmaking of the American Consensus
- The Future of American Politics
NOMINATE Data, Roll Call Data, and Software
Course Web Pages: University of Georgia (2010 - )
Course Web Pages: UC San Diego (2004 - 2010)
University of San Diego Law School (2005)
Course Web Pages: University of Houston (2000 - 2005)
Course Web Pages: Carnegie-Mellon University (1997 - 2000)
Analyzing Spatial Models of Choice and Judgment with R
Spatial Models of Parliamentary Voting
Recent Working Papers
Analyses of Recent Politics
About This Website
K7MOA Log Books: 1960 - 2015
Bio of Keith T. Poole